Friday, September 28, 2012

Are you Ready for the Winter??

I have been working on my flower beds as it is that time of the year to get them ready for the cold winter.  I usually start with the flowers.  Cut the dead flowers and stems out.  I save some of the flowers to dry and then in the winter I harvest the seeds for planting indoors.  Make sure you put names on the flowers, as when they dry they do not always look the same.

I do take some of the dead flowers and throw them around in the flower bed, and if possible I try to get the seeds out before I throw them around.  Be careful if you are throwing the marigolds or bachelor buttons around, as they will come back next year like gangbusters.

After you have cut out the dead plants ( perennials can be cut anywhere from 1/4-1/2 inch from the ground), you will want to loosen the soil.



COBRAHEAD WEEDER AND CULTIVATOR
I use a neat little tool called the CobraHead, it runs around 25 dollars but it is so worth is to tear up the   ground.  I would not recommend this if you have a large area to loosen up, but for smaller areas this is great.  You can find this on line , or any gardening store.  I found it on Amazon, but did not see free shipping for it.The Cobra on Amazon. 

Come back soon as we will talk about what to do with the soil once you have it loosened up.

See you soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment