Friday, November 16, 2012

Looking Towards Next Spring,

Now that the freezing weather is here and the snow has covered the flower beds, I think it is due time to think about what we can add to our flower collection for next year.  I start by perusing through many websites that sell seeds and or plants.  This is a good time to experiment with seeds to see what works for you and what does not.

As I mentioned in a earlier blog, to save the seeds from your flowers, well now that there is not the outside weeding and general lawn care, it is a great time to organize the saved seeds.  Here are some thoughts on the process:
1.  Check the seeds to ensure they are dry, if they feel or look moist- let them dry a bit longer.  Placing them in a sunny window will help the process out.
2.  I have saved several small containers from food products as well as small medicine bottles.  Remove labels so that you can add labels of the seeds you are putting into the container.  Do not fret, if you don't have bottles, small paper bags, such as we used to use for school lunches will be fine, (not plastic ones).
3.  Remove the seeds from the flower stack, place in your labeled container or bag, and there you go.
4.  I usually place them in a refrigerator, as the cooler temps ensures you will not have any sprouting going on.

Now I had a good friend who actually picked out select seeds and placed them in cute little bottles or envelopes and gave them to people for Christmas presents- just an idea.

I will have to say that one part of this process I don't care for are the little seeds such as ones from the Dreads flower, they are really tiny, so I get the tweezers out and I try to have a white plate to work on, so I can see the tiny things.

This can be time consuming and you may say "Bag This" I am going to buy mine at the store or on line.  I have found a couple of places to order from which I like, Park Seed and High Country Gardens.

Next we will start discussing planting inside.  See you next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment