Monday, November 5, 2012

Ground Cover- Ice Plant

Ice Plant

I have always thought the name Ice Plant was a strange name for this ground cover, sometimes I wonder who comes up with the names and perhaps what was going on at the time, the name was created.

Well anyway, this is a nice ground cover for those areas where you need some low lying plant to fill in some color.  This plant is a perennial, so bank on even after the most severe winter storms, it will come back.

Ice Plant does like allot of sun but not beating down sun, and moderate amounts of water, not soggy but perhaps an every other day watering. 

The plant will come in array of different colored flowers- now I have not seen any flowers on mine yet as it is rather new to the Eiting collection, but hoping next year we will see some of its flowering beauty.

I did receive a few pieces of this from a neighbor and stuck it in the ground, kept is moist for a couple weeks and it has now made a strong hold.  This little plant was doing great, until the neighborhood kids as well as my kids played "Night Games" in my yard one night.  Now I am not completely sure how this "Night Games" works, but I know the kids say there are many places to hide in my flowerbeds.  I am guess from the increased amount of "Night Games" that have occurred at my house/yard, it must be a great place to play.  Well anyway, the Ice Plant was stepped on several times one night, but you know it came back in full force, so I think it is safe to say it is a hearty plant.  I did make a new rule, do not step on my flowers or the game is off, HAHA  I know it is dark outside when they are playing so they can really see what they are stepping on, what do you do?  I think to myself, I love my flowers and spend countless hours tending to them, but I always said to myself that I would not be the cranky old lady that shoos the kids off with a broom, as I don't want them to come back and T.P. my house.

Even though we have had several frosts so far this fall, the ice plant is looking good, oh yeah we even had snow and it is still looking good.

Give this one a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment