Sunday, January 6, 2013

Seeds Galore

Where can you find seeds for planting?  Just about anywhere, and just about any kind of seeds you want from herbs, flowers, vegetables and so forth, it is out there, now you can decide what you want to work with.

I like to buy small quanities from different companies, as I have found if I buy one package and see how it grows, if it flops and trust me there will be some flops ( non growers) .  I also found some seeds like allot of moisture when starting out while other prefer to be on the dry side.  One example would be cilantro, they do not like allot of water where as parsley you can provide lots of moisture. 

Look around at your local farmers market, you might find some heirloom seeds, talk to your firends and neighbors they might have some seeds or go to the store.  In Utah, one can be hard pressed to find seeds for planting in your local Home Depot or Lowes so you might want to check out an online site.  I will have to tell you though, I was in the Park City Wal-Mart last week and not only is Valentine's Day goodies out, but also I noticed spring planting items are coming out.  Funny how we want the snow but then can't wait for it to move along or rather melt. 

I did recieved a seed catalog the other day from,Territorial Seed Company, I have not tried their seeds yet but plan to order a few to get started. 

Park Seed, is another on line place that has a vast variety to items to choose from, the only thing I don't like about their seeds is the packaging of the small seeds, for some reason tiny seeds will cling to the inside of the wrapper and when you try to pull the wrapper apart, bam all your seeds go flying.  They do have clearance seeds which I like to buy and see what I can grow out of them, one for instance was the Dreads, which I have a post on.

I could go on and on, have fun and venture out see what you would like to experiment with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment